James Walker composer, conductor
Serena Eichhorn alto (Magnificat)
Mark Waterstenor (Nunc dimittis)
Kyle Champion cello
Magnificat recorded in performance on Sunday, December 7, 2014, at All Saints Church, Pasadena, California.
Nunc dimittis recorded in performance on Sunday, March 21, 2010, at All Saints Church, Pasadena, California.
- Music by James Walker Magnificat and Nunc dimittis, “Coventry” (2008)
- My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my savior.
- For you have looked with favor upon your lowly servant, and from this day forward, all generations will call me blessed.
- For you, the almighty, have done great things for me, and holy is your name.
- Your mercy reaches from age to age for those who revere you.
- You have shown strength with your arm;
you have scattered the proud in their conceit.
- You have deposed the mighty from their thrones,
and raised the lowly to high places.
- You have filled the hungry with good things,
and you have sent the rich empty away.
- You have come to our aid, O God, mindful of your mercy.
(Come to our aid, O God. Remember your mercy.)
- You have come to our aid, O God, mindful of your mercy,
from age to age.
- My soul doth magnify the Lord.
- — adapted from Luke 1:46–55
- Lord, now, release your servant that I may depart in peace. Lord, as you have promised.
- For my eyes have seen your salvation
- Which you have prepared for all to see
- A light of revelation.
- For all nations, and the glory of your people Israel.
- The Magnificat the choir sang that you wrote was absolutely stunning and brilliant. Thanks for all you do.Jeremy LangillAll Saints staff member
- What a lovely gift! There are no words to express what Lessons and Carols, and especially your piece [Magnificat, “Coventry”] meant to us this year… Transcendent? Mystical? Words fail, but we know the spiritual experience you and the choir facilitated was transformative.Jim and Linda Bonn
- Dear James, I can’t wait any more to thank you for the Magnificat setting last night. I really think it’s the most beautiful that has ever been composed. I was transported. Love and thanks, EdRev. Ed BaconRector, All Saints Church
- Dear James, The Advent Festival of Lessons and Carols was beautiful. Cecil and I and friends we were with were glad to hear your Magnificat. We found it drew us in and the ending was fabulous. The music you have brought through the Fall has nourished my soul: the Bach Festival concert and the Sunday morning music. Thanks for all you bring.Pat Hoffman
Mary’s Song is Our Song
James shares the process of composing Magnificat, “Coventry.” Learn more