It was a wild idea and huge project to produce Amahl at All Saints. There was an amazing young boy soprano in the children's choir program at the time, Theo Lebow, and that fact rather became the clincher in the decision to move forward.
Of course, this was not the simple production of my youth, using piano accompaniment only, played by the director. We had an actual director, a choreographer, lavish set and costumes, an instrumental ensemble. And the place was packed to the rafters for both performances.
Theo now has an active opera career, and it is fun to remind him from whence he came.
And we did use most of the historic 1969 props, most notably the revered crutch. It was a fantastic project for Canterbury and a big hit.
at 5:00 PM
James Walkermusic director
- Theo Lebow, Amahl
- Elizabeth Tatum, The Mother
- Christopher Gambol, King Kaspar
- Thomas Burns, King Melchior
- Jim Campbell, King Balthazar
- Michael Taylor, The Page
- Katie Anawalt, dancer
- Marike Schultz-Meyer, dancer
- Chamber Orchestra
- Russell Werkman, director
- Jamie Nichols, choreographer
- Gian-Carlo MenottiAmahl and the Night Visitors